Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Dad

Wake Up! Wake Up!
A trusting voice taps my shoulder.
It's my dad, my peaceful dad.

Follow me
into the sea of stars, He says

I'm stumbling after
and agreeing
to journey through the dark indigo hallway
half conscious
in raggedy pajamas
leaving behind my trace
of unweaving thread 
pulling seam by seam
for poverty is blinded
to a carefree child.

Talking to the moon
glaring through the smudged, handprinted glass
I follow out the screen door

A lavender blur
So I flick crusted stardust 
from the creases of my eyes
While my dad, my trusting dad
guides me to the top of our dented tin roof
with rock hieroglyphics scratched on the doors

But why?
My dad replies, "It's simple
To lie on our backs and stare at the sky."

Memories trail after
Of siblings floating on fields
gazing at airplanes
While my dad, my wondrous dad
Takes us on journeys filling our innocent minds
with riddles and jokes
Then car rides as the wind blows 
to John Lenon's voice.

And frolicking through grand libraries 
to breathe in the comfort
of elderly books,
feeble in binding
and whispering stories
To sponge-like children.

But when fatigue bubbles up
To heavy eyelids
I'd crawl into my bunk-bed
reeling in nostalgic stories
of my dad's troublesome past.

And then,
My dad, my spiritual dad
He'd say, "Let's pray
to your guardian angel
For I am thankful for you Grace,
because you were our gift from God."

-graceHgutekanst

No comments:

Post a Comment