Tuesday, July 10, 2012

clapping for smiles

My second year working at Camp Hawkins, a camp for special needs children.  Camp Hawkins is one of the greatest places on earth.  I only work the last two weeks of camp this year (last year I worked all 6 weeks).  

My camper last week was a sweet sweet boy with autism and is non-verbal.  He wants everyone to clap and is constantly running or pacing around, therefore I was too, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  His smile made my heart melt.  He knew a little sign language which helped, but really conversation has very little to do with words anyways.  Facial reactions and mannerisms speak mountains.  


I did not stop moving from Wednesday to Sunday.  So much energy.  He also gave wonderful kisses on the cheek.  He is absolutely precious and now has a piece of my heart.  Even though he has gone home and the next week of new campers is about to start... I still find myself randomly clamping and looking up to see if his smiling face is nearby.   

No comments:

Post a Comment